Preventing food waste

Home Forums Khoollect conversations Preventing food waste

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile Photo
    Bex Shannon
    Keymaster

We’re talking lots about sustainability this week on Khoollect. Would love to hear your tips for minimising food waste at home. You can find ours below:

Reducing food waste in five easy steps

If you’ve got more great tips to add – let us know!

• This topic was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Profile PhotoBex Shannon.
    Profile Photo
    Murissa Shalapata
    Participant

I am currently composting in my townhouse. I have a small compost bin where I put food scraps. At the end of the week or week and a half I’ll empty it into my compost bin which is held in my garage. Each week I aerate it by tipping it upside down and giving it a good shake.

I mix my food scraps with brown material like paper and cardboard so that the compost doesn’t get too wet. If it does then I find it becomes a heaven for fruit flies and flies in which case I add more brown material.

To speed up the process you can buy compost starter or you can even buy worm casings that will churn through your natural food waste faster. I use the compost for my patio plants. This year I am growing blueberries in a tall planter as well as all my herbs, 3 types of lavender to keep the mosquitos and beetles out of my house, and drought resistant succulents for when the summers turn very hot.

Profile Photo
    Bex Shannon
    Keymaster

Thanks so much Murissa, this is a really great rundown on how to compost at home. I live in a rural area, so am lucky I can throw my compost in a big outdoor bin and put it on the garden when it’s mulched down!

Also, love the idea of lavender keeping mosquitos at bay! Where do you live?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Profile PhotoBex Shannon.
    Profile Photo
    Sonya Gellert
    Participant

Excellent tips. How do you like to use your blueberries up, Murissa? You might have to give this recipe a go.

I loved interviewing Jenny Costa from Rubies in the Rubble recently, who puts would-be-wasted fruit and veg to good use in her chutneys and jams.

Profile Photo
    Murissa Shalapata
    Participant

I live in Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada. Plenty of mosquitos in the spring and early summer!

Profile Photo
    Murissa Shalapata
    Participant

Sonya that recipe looks delicious! Will have to give it a go. I’ve got a unique blueberry plant this year with white berries. Fingers cross they taste good!

Profile Photo
    Bex Shannon
    Keymaster

Hi Murissa – those white blueberries sound amazing. Have you tried them before? If so, do they taste different to normal blueberries (the blue ones ha!)

Profile Photo
    Angela Field
    Participant

Food waste is a big issue for me, we buy a lot of fresh produce and there’s nothing more depressing than finding a carrot that’s gone black at the bottom of the box in the fridge, or a loaf of bread that you didn’t eat quickly enough.

For me, the freezer is definitely a friend. I freeze leftover egg whites in freezer bags, writing the date and number of egg whites included (general rule of thumb an egg white ways 30-35g when using in a recipe). These are great for madeleines and financiers, while macarons work so much better with aged egg whites.

If I have milk that is close to the date, I freeze it then thaw as and when for use in gratins and baking. Bananas that are going brown get peeled and sliced and popped in a bag and frozen for smoothies or banana bread. I also freeze bread and use it for breadcrumbs, it seems to blend up a lot easier from frozen, giving a smaller crumb.

Portion size is really important, as mentioned in the article, I either cook just what we need, or I intentionally increase the recipe, so I have a whole batch for the freezer. Leftovers also form part of our packed lunches the next day.

We used to have pretty much zero food waste, as I had a compost bin and a house rabbit! Now the dog does eat the ends of the carrots and cucumber, but he’s not as keen on the cauliflower leaves!

Profile Photo
    Hannah Adams
    Participant

Hi Angela, thanks for sharing your ways of reducing waste. These are great tips! I think I need to get myself a house rabbit 🙂 Not sure if Whiskey my hamster would get very far.

Please do share any photos of your delicious banana bread! What other dishes do you like to cook?
    Thanks, Hannah

Profile Photo
    Sarah
    Participant

For me, the freezer is definitely a friend. I freeze leftover egg whites in freezer bags, writing the date and number of egg whites included (general rule of thumb an egg white ways 30-35g when using in a recipe). These are great for madeleines and financiers, while macarons work so much better with aged egg whites.

I’d second this.

I freeze whatever I can. Even when I’m not sure if something can be frozen, I give it a go and see if it works! The biggest thing for me was discovering you can freeze cheese. So often I would get a block of parmesan for a risotto, then fail to use the rest. It freezes well and you can grate it from frozen (you have to leave it out for a short while if you want shavings). Cheddar and goat’s cheese also seems to work. And, because there’s only two of us, if I bake a large cake or 12 of something, I try to freeze some of that too, as it’s nice to have a selection of homemade things to hand.

I also do a strict weekly shopping list, so we don’t accidentally buy more than we need. We used to waste a lot more when we didn’t plan ahead.

Profile Photo
    Hannah Adams
    Participant

Hi Sarah. Great tips, thank you for sharing! I didn’t realise you could freeze cheese. I do love learning new things!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar