Sydney

Home Forums Travel Sydney

This topic contains 14 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile Photo Rachel Khoo 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile Photo
    Rachel Khoo
    Keymaster

We’re looking for your favourite hangouts in Sydney. From foodie places, secret dives to the best places to find some cool clothes and original stationery…let us know!

• This topic was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by Profile Photo Rachel Khoo.
    Profile Photo
    Sonya Gellert
    Participant

I’d love to hear what places outside of the CBD are the best up-and-coming hubs. Any suggestions? Thanks, Sonya 🙂

Profile Photo
    Carina
    Participant

Where do I even start? I visited Sydney late last year and was blown away. It is such a massive and diverse place, and I was determined to pack as much activity into the short 4 days I was there.

Cafes: A very insta-popular place is The Grounds of Alexandria. It really lives up the the hype as the food is innovative and delicious and the grounds (including a florist, fresh food market on weekends and mini petting farm) is stunning.
    Bourke Street Bakery is a must visit for fresh pastries. Their ginger brulee tarts are particularly amazing.
    The Grumpy Barista in Petersham requires a bit of a train journey to get to, but their insanely good cronuts make are worth it!
    I could go on and on, but off the top of my head, other places of note incl.: Mediterranean/Middle Eastern cafe Kepos Street Kitchen, Pana chocolate, The Rabbit Hole organic tea bar and Gelato Messina.

Places to visit: Manly is not to be missed, especially Shelley beach. Bondi to Coogee walk, Royal Botanic Gardens, and The Chinese Garden of Friendship are all worthwhile. A favourite hidden spot of mine is the aptly named ‘Cat Alley’ in Surry Hills. I wrote a little bit about it here2

Lastly, I wanted to mention Beautiful Pages in DarlingHurst. As a self-confessed magazine lover, this shop catered to all my needs as it stocks such a huge range of mags. 😊

Profile Photo
    Sonya Gellert
    Participant

Hi Carina,

Thanks so much for your response! I’ve seen so many Instagram photos of The Grounds of Alexandria and was wondering if it lived up to its hype! Glad to hear it does. And I hadn’t heard of Beautiful Pages, but as a magazine addict I like the sounds of that! And I hadn’t heard of Beautiful Pages, but as a magazine addict I like the sounds of that!

This is a fantastic list of recommendations…I think we’re going to have to plan a Khoollect team excursion to Sydney now!

Thanks again!

Anonymous

The first thing to do is to forget about the tourists traps when it comes to beaches ….head for the places where the locals like to hang out ..All these gems have GREAT cafes and our tucked away but easy to get to via ferrys,bus or car ..try Neilson Park,Parsley Bay ,Balmoral Beach and the truly wonderful Wylie Baths an architectural wonder,for those scared of the sea you can also swim at North Sydney or Boy Charlton ( just near the Art Gallery of NSW)..good coffee here too!

Head over to Woollarhra/Paddington for a good mix of Paris style shops,galleries etc and home of the world famous Churchill’s the funkiest butcher shop in all the world.
    You’ll be thirsty after all that so try Tilley Devine in Darlinghurst or the Wine Library in Woollarhra
    The strip along King St Newtown is home to so many good eateries,pubs, funky fashion, 2nd hand bookshops et al it is a favorite of Sydney’s inner west crowd.

Head out of town( only 40 mins from CBD on a good day) to Bobbin Head National Park for a bushwalk see the amazing rock art of the Garrigal tribe, then head over to the very good food at the Boatshed Cafe located in the park this truly is NOT to be missed for a special day out.
    Surry Hills is home to the great Published Art bookshop and just around the corner is Single Origin Coffee,( the best coffee in town ) nearby is the amazing Chef’s Warhouse where those in the know head to get their Kitchenware
    Fir somewhere different to stay ..try Cockatoo Island ..everything from a luxury heritage house through to glamping!
    For the Khoollect record collection try Red Eye or Birdland in the CBD,in fact the Dymock’s Building where Birdland is an amazing Art Deco building teeming with the weird and wonderful ,nearby checkout the chic Strand Arcade .
    For a history tour with a difference try the City of Sydney’s Rock and Roll walks of fame and shame podcast tours,,,
    The best time to see the Opera House is at night is when the Vivid festival is on,the bars around the opera quays go mental!
    I could go on …the Palm Beach Ferry…David Jones Food-hall… Kuringai Wildflower garden …Vaucluse House gardens and Tearooms, the Bundena ferry,hire a bike in Centennial Park …have fun ..drop me a line when the Khoollect team touch down ! cheers
    @sh

Profile Photo
    Bex Shannon
    Keymaster

Hi @ashly,
    Thanks so much for all those amazing suggestions – that’s a pretty action-packed couple of days outlined right there! I’m ashamed to say I only live across the ditch in New Zealand and have never made it to Sydney. Your suggestions make a great starting point. (I’ve also heard from a few sources that Single Origin Coffee is supposed to be brilliant)…

Have a great week!

Profile Photo
    Sonya Gellert
    Participant

Hi @shley

This is an incredible line-up of things to do. Thanks so much!
    Now you’ve got the entire Khoollect team dreaming up a trip to Sydney! Would love to go to Vivid Festival too. The pictures look fantastic online.

Thank you again!

Sonya

Profile Photo
    Lisa Posatska
    Participant

I don’t have any recommendations for Sydney (never been), but it would be cool to have a similar thread for various cities as a point of reference for people when travelling!

Profile Photo
    Rhia Chohan
    Participant

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the great feedback. We’ll be featuring more cities soon. Any particular ones you’re curious about?

Profile Photo
    Sonya Gellert
    Participant

Thank Lisa, great suggestion. We’re certainly hoping to cover as many cities as we can. Can’t wait to explore the next on our list 🙂 What city are you based nearest to?

Profile Photo
    Lisa Posatska
    Participant

I am directly in Genova, Italia! The heart of Liguria. Il mare e i monti (the sea and the mountains). I think Italian cities would be great to feature because it is actually very difficult to discover anything about them online.

I would love to see Stockholm featured and perhaps some eastern European cities such as Prague, Vienna, Moscow, Kiev, etc.

Profile Photo
    Sonya Gellert
    Participant

So lucky, Lisa! Italy’s at the top of my favourite countries list! Italian cities would be a great addition to our guides, as would Stockholm and other European cities. Can’t wait to get working on these destinations in future! Now you’ve got me dreaming of travel on this rainy London morning!

Profile Photo
    Rachel Khoo
    Keymaster

@shley @carina Thanks for your suggestions! Unfortunately I haven’t had much time off in between filming this new show in Sydney but I managed to do the walk from Bronte to Bondi and stop off for an ice cream (pistachio and chocolate) at Pompeis’ which was pretty delicious. On my other day off my cousins took me out to Little Saigon in Cabramatta for an amazing Pho.

Profile Photo
    Kirstin
    Participant

The Chinese Garden of Friendship is a fantastic place to relax in Sydney. I wandered around and then sat myself down with my kindle and indulged in one of my favourite pastimes of people watching.

Profile Photo
    Rachel Khoo
    Keymaster

Hi Kirstin, Thanks for the suggestion. It sounds lovely. I’ll make sure to put it on my list the next time I’m there.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Profile Photo Rachel Khoo.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar