Tips to relax

Home Forums Take it slow Tips to relax

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Profile Photo
    Hannah Adams
    Participant

Does anybody have pets that help them relax? There’s scientific proof that interactions with animals can help people be calmer and I’m a true believer in this.

My Grandad is a guide dog trainer and often takes his dogs in to universities in exam times for students to stroke them. It’s beneficial for the dogs in training and the people!

Profile Photo
    Sonya Gellert
    Participant

I don’t have any pets here in London, but I’ve read about the benefits of pets being allowed in nursing homes and hospital beds. I definitely think pets have some kind of power to calm and help humans. 🙂

Profile Photo
    Rachel Khoo
    Keymaster

Totally agree! It’s hard to be in a bad mood when I have my dog around. She’s always so happy regardless (and even happier when she gets fed 😉
    Rachel Khoo's labrador

Profile Photo
    Hannah Adams
    Participant

True, my Grandad also does something called Therapeting where he goes round nursing homes.

Borrow my doggy is a platform which allows you to become a dog carer when their owners are away. It could be a great way for anyone to get their doggy fix!

Thank you for the chat everyone. We hope you got some good tips out of this. For anyone who is reading this later in the day or week, please do feel free to add your own tips. I’ll be writing a post for the website later so any additional suggestions are welcome!

Thanks, Hannah

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Profile PhotoHannah Adams.
    Profile Photo
    Lisa Posatska
    Participant

I also enjoy both cooking and baking to relax. Also, turning off the music. I find that listening to music for a long period of time (even calm music) can lead to stress.

Profile Photo
    Hannah Adams
    Participant

Hi Lisa, I see a theme here – we all love cooking to relax 🙂

No one had said exercise, I thought this would be a big one. Anyone out there who runs to unwind?

Profile Photo
    SiddhiJK
    Participant

I do have a recipe for those checkerboard cookies!
    And omg I can’t believe my favorite chef liked it xD
    For Vanilla Dough:
    50 gm butter, softened
    50 gm powdered sugar, sifted
    Vanilla extract (as much you prefer)
    100gm cake flour, sifted
    1/2 egg, beaten well
    1/2 tbsp milk

For Chocolate Dough
    50 gm butter, softened
    50 gm sugar ,sifted
    Vanilla extract
    14 gm Chocolate powder ,sifted
    1gm coffee powder
    85 gm cake flour sifted
    1/2 beaten egg
    1/2 tbsp milk.

For vanilla dough, cream the sugar and butter till it’s white and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract, milk and 1/2 beaten egg.
    Mix it well ,and add the flour 1/3rd at a time, mixing it in a slashing movement with a spatula , making sure that there’s no air pocket.
    Wrap the dough in the cling film in a rectangular brick form and freeze it for 30 min.

For Chocolate dough
    Repeat the process till you add milk and egg, later add the Coco powder and the coffee, mixing it well.
    Add the flour 1/3rd at a time, mixing it in slashing movement with a spatula, making sure there’s no air pocket.
    Wrap the dough in the cling film in a rectangular brick form , and freeze it for 30 minutes.

Take them out after its chilled well, and cut them horizontal form , removing the middle part and exchange it with the other dough. wrapp them and freeze it for 30 minutes.

Take them out and again cut them in the horizontal form so that there’s three stripes with the exchanged strip in the middle. Again exchange the middle stripe with the other stripe , join them again and wrap them in the film, freeze it for 30 minutes again.

Preheat the oven on 170°C / 340°F for 10 minutes.
    Cut the cookies in a medium size, so they will bake at the same time.
    Bake them for 15 minutes, after they are done, put them on the cooling rack so that they won’t turn dry .
    Enjoy!

Profile Photo
    SiddhiJK
    Participant

I agree with pets being very therapeutic! I stay with my lovely dog and I feel so happy and relaxed..she’s a great dog! 😊😊
    Check out @Siddhi_JK’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/Siddhi_JK/status/750745758865952768?s=09

Profile Photo
    Lisa Posatska
    Participant

Hannah, I definitely run to unwind as well!
    Didn’t think of that one immediately, but it works. 🙂

Profile Photo
    Maggi
    Participant

I love a hot bath also, but I also love losing myself in a great book. I have a dog that I will take on walks to the park near my house and I will just think the day through and then be done with it! I’m not sure if this is the same kind of app u are thinking about but I found one that helps you form great habits like eating well, light exercise, meditation, and better sleep it is called Fabulous http://www.thefabulous.co

Profile Photo
    Hannah Adams
    Participant

Hi Maggi,

Thank you for your suggestions! I’m definitely going to look into the Fabulous app.

Did you receive my email regarding the questions? Apologies if you did send them. Would it be possible for you send the answers to my email address [email protected]?

Thanks,

Hannah

Profile Photo
    Maggi
    Participant

Yes I sent them but I will be glad to send again 🙂

Profile Photo
    Maggi
    Participant

Hannah if you have not received my answers by email please let me know. You are 5 hours ahead of me but I’ll check my mail as soon as possible. Thanks!

Profile Photo
    Murissa Shalapata
    Participant

I love to read a good book before bed. I find if I watch TV or spend too much time on the phone I get restless and can’t fall asleep as soundly or as quickly.

Another thing I’ve been doing these past 7 weeks is running. I hated it at first but after the 3rd week of running 3 days per week I started to enjoy it. Now if I don’t run 3 times per week I find myself feeling more stressed out, more uneven health wise and acne begins to return which then causes more stress.

Profile Photo
    Maggi
    Participant

I have been walking for 30 minutes in the morning before breakfast. Today I added 4 30 second sprints to get my heart rate up and I actually enjoyed it. One of the best habits I have started was drinking water as soon as I wake up. One benefit I have noticed is I no longer have dark circles under my eyes.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar